Beaver Dam Eradication
Steve Smith
2003-07-04 02:53:12 UTC
dickbrain is exactly that, a dickbrain...

stevo
Thanks for the responses. The last posts was the type of information
that I was looking for. I will post results (what was used and how
much). Again, thanks.
I have been requested to help a friend get rid of a large beaver dam
(about 100 ft long, 5 Ft wide at the base and 4 feet tall. I have a
BATF high explosive license. Can someone give me some guidance on 1)
what is the best type of explosive to use ie; dynamite 2) the amount
to use per shot 3) spacing of shot pattern and 4) how to keep the
charge dry before detonation. Thanks.
A single kenestick 1/3 (1/3 pound of ammonium nitrate based explosive)
is commonly used for this purpose. Tie the charge to a 2x4 and stick it
into the mud on the upstream side of the dam so that the cartridge is
at the bottom. The water will do a great job of tamping the charge.
This will blow a hole about 15 to 20 feet wide in the dam down to the
stream bed. It won't be too loud and it will not throw debris very far
because of the water. If you hide upstream you are particularly safe
from flying debris. After experimenting with this you may decide you
want to use a bigger charge.
The beaver lodge has a hole where they breathe and you can usually get
it open enough to stick a charge down to shelf where they live. This
shelf is above water so the resulting blast will throw debris quite far
and will be loud. There will only be a smoking crater in the water
where the lodge was.
Of course they will start rebuilding the whole thing as soon as you're
done so you might want to trap or shoot them when you're done. In most
places there is someone that will come and trap them
Dick
Mr.C.F.
2003-07-20 01:17:56 UTC
Perhaps the local animal control officer would be better suited for the job.
--
Chet, errrrr, Mr.C.F.
GMAJaskol
2003-07-28 03:02:00 UTC
also check with local DNR to see if they,ll let you do it.
Steve Smith
2003-08-19 00:01:43 UTC
Post by GMAJaskol
also check with local DNR to see if they,ll let you do it.
What was the progress on this?? any video footage or pictures of before
and after...???

stevo
Frithiof Andreas Jensen
2010-11-10 12:20:56 UTC
Post by Mr.C.F.
Perhaps the local animal control officer would be better suited for the job.
But that would rob Darwinian Selection of the opportunity of improving
the human gene-pool!
Me
2010-11-10 18:54:15 UTC
Post by Frithiof Andreas Jensen
Post by Mr.C.F.
Perhaps the local animal control officer would be better suited for the job.
But that would rob Darwinian Selection of the opportunity of improving
the human gene-pool!
that totally depend on who was doing the Blasting.....

Me Just one, who has done that type of work in the past.....
j***@gmail.com
2019-01-30 12:19:03 UTC
Unless it is an ancient beaver dam I wouldn’t worry at all. In MN you are supposed to obtain a permit from the dnr before removing a dam, but I’ve never heard of a case in which a phone call didn’t yield the answer “just get rid of it”. Fact is there are a lot of beavers, and the creation of dams can significantly alter the landscape, often in an undesireable way. Personally, if it is causing problems and it’s on private land, I’d just blogw the damn thing. And for god sakes, don’t involve the feds! If you’re that concerned, call the DNR and tell them the beavers are flooding your property, I’m pretty sure they will just give you the go ahead.
j***@gmail.com
2019-01-30 12:34:26 UTC
I agree with you 100%. These government living assholes live citing laws and regulations. Personally, unless it is on a public waterway, I prefer to just deal with it and not get caught up in some buracreacy. That being said, here’s what I do. Obtain 3-4” pvc pipe and some endcaps. Use 4-6 foot lengths of pipe. Fill with ANFO and cap the ends. Prior to capping, put a half pound ANNM in a sandwich bag at the top for your booster.Drill a hole for your cap wire/fuse. Seal with silicone if you can’tkeep it dry. Take these “beaver sticks” and jam them down into the dam every 10-20 feet. Say bye bye dam. If your like Boomer and lack common sense and the ability to think without involving a three or four lettter agency, I’ll note that you should space and size these sticks as needed, my numbers are just generalizations. Have fun😊