Will this EMP bomb work?
Adam Freeman
2010-04-14 11:40:04 UTC
Basically a circuit consisting of an amalgamation of a Marx circuit to
generate the high seed current and an inductor wrapped around an
explosively driven armature.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/3043/empbombj.pdf

Some questions I had were:
1) How do I find out the precise time the current through the inductor
coil will be maximum, given real conditions (e.g. finite resistances,
inductance of the Marx circuit itself, eddy currents in armature...)?
Is this something best found out by experiment and a digital
oscilloscope?

2) Presumably, the optimal time for the armature to short out the
inductor coils is when the current within it is at a maximum.
Considering that explosives have a finite run up to detonation, how do
I calculate the best time to initiate the explosives?

3) The explosives used will probably be a cylindrical charge of TNT
with a length of ~10cm and a radius of ~2cm. Will there be any
problems initiating such a small explosive?

4) Do you have any suggestions on how the electromagnetic pulse can be
maximised, with a goal of destroying nearby unshielded electronics?

5) Can you suggest any other design optimisations?

I am willing to provide funds for quality advice if you can provide
evidence of your expertise.

Adam Freeman
J.A. Legris
2010-04-14 12:42:27 UTC
Post by Adam Freeman
[...]
I already have a bullet lodged in my left frontal lobe and a
compassionate lifetime NRA membership. Am I qualified?

Joe
o***@uakron.edu
2010-04-14 12:59:06 UTC
Um, Somebody is gonna want to "know a bit about you for their
files."

If you have to ask those questions on Sci.electronics.design, there is
something very wrong with your needing to know.

I'm with Mr. Legris on this one.

Steve
Adam Freeman
2010-04-14 13:33:05 UTC
Post by o***@uakron.edu
Um, Somebody is gonna want to "know a bit about you for their
files."
None of their business. I have broken no law in the jurisdiction I am
in.
Post by o***@uakron.edu
If you have to ask those questions on Sci.electronics.design, there is
something very wrong with your needing to know.
I want to hear all angles prior to investing time/money in testing.
Post by o***@uakron.edu
I'm with Mr. Legris on this one.
Steve
You may want to look up on the notion of precrime and actus/mens rea.

Adam Freeman
Androcles
2010-04-14 13:50:03 UTC
Post by o***@uakron.edu
I'm with Mr. Legris on this one.
Steve
You may want to look up on the notion of precrime and actus/mens rea.
Adam Freeman
You may want to do your own looking up or pay for the consultation you
are requesting, unless you are foolish enough to expect expertise for free.
So far you've got what you've paid for, and that is all you will get.
Adam Freeman
2010-04-14 16:16:38 UTC
Post by Androcles
Post by o***@uakron.edu
I'm with Mr. Legris on this one.
Steve
You may want to look up on the notion of precrime and actus/mens rea.
Adam Freeman
You may want to do your own looking up or pay for the consultation you
are requesting, unless you are foolish enough to expect expertise for free.
So far you've got what you've paid for, and that is all you will get.
One thing I've always found amazing about usenet, is that there are
experts out there who will genuinely help people for free, or for a
price. Once you get past the trolls.
o***@uakron.edu
2010-04-14 14:18:56 UTC
Post by Adam Freeman
Steve
You may want to look up on the notion of precrime and actus/mens rea.
Adam Freeman
I don't care, that is not the way security works. I Know all about
preserving the right to learn and the philosophy of education.
However, you hit the "nutjob" flag in the way you posed the question.

Do you realize you just offered to pay for a device that would be a
potential terrorist tool of choice?

Do you realize from a engineering point of view, you asked a absurd
question?

Do you realize that in this day and age, no one will answer those
sort of questions, to a potential threat,in a public forum?

Do you realize it takes the staff and resources of a major, if not
world class, laboratory to answer your questions?

Even though it would take a exceptional team of people to build a
prototype, some things are just not for the asking.
And the reason is, such small devices, IF they worked, would be used
against "SOFT" civil targets such as hospitals and banks.

If you can't even realize the notion that the explosive "IS" the
switch, and do not know about storage time,...... Oh well, never
mind....

Wanting to learn is one thing, but offering to pay made your post
another...

Good day.

Steve
Frogwatch
2010-04-14 14:31:01 UTC
Post by o***@uakron.edu
Post by Adam Freeman
[...]
One person could design and build such a thing. No, I will net help
except to say his flux compression is just wrong. Efficient emission
of the pulse is something to be considered.
Now, one can look at web pages dedicated to conventional EMP weapons
for some inspiration and to see what it might be possible for
terrorists to do and how to defend against such Considering what
terrorists might do is legit. Designing a device yourself may not be
illegal but comes close to conspiracy if you give a design to somebody
who might make it.
Uncle Al
2010-04-14 16:29:03 UTC
Post by Frogwatch
Post by o***@uakron.edu
Post by Adam Freeman
[...]
There are no terrorists. There is only Homeland Severity playing both
ends against the middle,

Imagine the angst sufferd by Janet Napolitano for being politically
prohibited from growing out her little moustache.
--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz4.htm
Sammy Sams
2010-04-14 16:54:11 UTC
Post by o***@uakron.edu
Do you realize you just offered to pay for a device that would be a
potential terrorist tool of choice?
We have nothing to fear from terrorists. Our only fear should be
people like you.

It is a fascinating topic and question.

I encourage everyone to explore and experiment in any area
they choose -- even the area of explosives and destructive
EMP.

Do it, baby! Destroy those circuits! Blow up that garbage
can!

Let the f****** critics be damned!
Adam Freeman
2010-04-14 16:55:27 UTC
Post by o***@uakron.edu
Post by Adam Freeman
Steve
You may want to look up on the notion of precrime and actus/mens rea.
Adam Freeman
I don't care, that is not the way security works. I Know all about
preserving the right to learn and the philosophy of education.
However, you hit the "nutjob" flag in the way you posed the question.
I've often asked for and sometimes paid for advice on Usenet. It is
you who have read into something which isn't there.
Post by o***@uakron.edu
Do you realize you just offered to pay for a device that would be a
potential terrorist tool of choice?
So is underwear or shoes, apparently. You going to ban those too?
Post by o***@uakron.edu
Do you realize from a engineering point of view, you asked a absurd
question?
How so, young one? I have 30 years of experience in mechanical
engineering and am retired already.
Post by o***@uakron.edu
Do you realize that in this day and age, no one will answer those
sort of questions, to a potential threat,in a public forum?
I asked other such questions in a public forum under different email
aliases. Haven't had any problems from the authorities where I live.
Of course I have an explosives and firearms license. Even paid a
private contractor (found through Usenet) a lot of money to install a
two stage helium gas gun at my farm.
Post by o***@uakron.edu
Do you realize it takes the staff and resources of a major, if not
world class, laboratory to answer your questions?
I've worked in the "establishment" long enough to know you can
sometimes find gems of people who know the majority of knowledge of
these places. The rest just deal with minor details or work in non-
technical areas.
Post by o***@uakron.edu
Even though it would take a exceptional team of people to build a
prototype, some things are just not for the asking.
And the reason is, such small devices, IF they worked, would be used
against "SOFT" civil targets such as hospitals and banks.
Why? You have been presumed guilty before a guilty deed?
Post by o***@uakron.edu
If you can't even realize the notion that the explosive "IS" the
switch, and do not know about storage time,...... Oh well, never
mind....
I am not quite sure what you mean by the first statement. As for the
second, I can theoretically work it out but I do not know if the
theoretical calculations are valid in such transient time frames.
Post by o***@uakron.edu
Wanting to learn is one thing, but offering to pay made your post
another...
Some people may wish to provide advice for free. I respect that.
Others may feel it takes their time to help, or they want a token of
appreciation. I also respect that.
Paul Hovnanian P.E.
2010-04-14 17:50:21 UTC
Adam Freeman wrote:

[snip]
Post by Adam Freeman
I asked other such questions in a public forum under different email
aliases. Haven't had any problems from the authorities where I live.
Why aliases? And if you are OK with using aliases, why are you using
something that looks like an actual name? I'm guessing that you ARE the
authorities and you folks are trolling for some suckers to give you
something you can use to justify budget for manpower/investigations. Things
must be mighty slow over there at Homeland Security.
--
Paul Hovnanian ***@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.
Adam Freeman
2010-04-14 18:05:08 UTC
Post by Paul Hovnanian P.E.
[snip]
Post by Adam Freeman
I asked other such questions in a public forum under different email
aliases. Haven't had any problems from the authorities where I live.
Why aliases? And if you are OK with using aliases, why are you using
something that looks like an actual name? I'm guessing that you ARE the
authorities and you folks are trolling for some suckers to give you
something you can use to justify budget for manpower/investigations. Things
must be mighty slow over there at Homeland Security.
So people are not allowed to have aliases these days? You are a Nazi
and don't even know it.

You are a slave to your suspicion and your closed mindedness is most
florid.

I bet most of the fear mongerers here don't know the answer anyway
however much they try to drop tantalising tips that they do.
Tim Wescott
2010-04-14 18:18:08 UTC
Post by Adam Freeman
Post by o***@uakron.edu
Do you realize that in this day and age, no one will answer those
sort of questions, to a potential threat,in a public forum?
I asked other such questions in a public forum under different email
aliases. Haven't had any problems from the authorities where I live.
Of course I have an explosives and firearms license. Even paid a
private contractor (found through Usenet) a lot of money to install a
two stage helium gas gun at my farm.
I'll bet that if Osama Bin Laden wants advice on USENET he calls himself
something 'western', like "Sam Jones" or, well, "Adam Freeman".

The point isn't that you can't do it or that you can't ask for help --
just that you _are_ pushing some "nutcase" buttons, as well as "I'm a
terrorist looking for naive talent from the enemy" buttons. You
shouldn't be _offended_ by folks being concerned about your bona-fides,
you should be _comforted_.

I can see wanting to do this for curiosity's sake (eccentric, but OK).

I can see wanting to do this to develop a product for your home-country
military (good).

I can see wanting to do this to develop countermeasures (good).

I can see wanting to do this to win a bet, or for the puerile joy of
blowing out a few racks of electronics (nothing wrong with that).

I can see wanting to do this because you're frustrated by the progress
of the Teabaggers, and you're going to bomb your local IRS or FBI
offices (very bad).

I can see wanting to do this because you're an Islamic activist, you're
smart enough to know that if you say you're going to kill the infidel
with it we won't help (may be good by your lights and your friends', but
very bad for me).

Etc.

So were I to work with you on this (and I probably would contact you off
list if I had that expertise) I would consider it to be a moral,
ethical, and legal imperative to not actually _deliver_ any help until
I'd done some serious background checking. I'd _much_ rather risk
offending an over-sensitive prospect than have any risk at all of my
name appearing in the paper next to a picture of a big smoking hole
complete with body parts.

So why get bent out of shape?
--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
J. Clarke
2010-04-14 14:45:01 UTC
Post by o***@uakron.edu
I'm with Mr. Legris on this one.
Steve
You may want to look up on the notion of precrime and actus/mens rea.
You may want to look up the notion of "Predator" and "plausible
deniability".
Tim Wescott
2010-04-14 18:03:29 UTC
Post by Adam Freeman
Post by o***@uakron.edu
Um, Somebody is gonna want to "know a bit about you for their
files."
None of their business. I have broken no law in the jurisdiction I am
in.
Anyone in the US, on the other hand, would find that the State
Department probably views an EMP bomb as a defense article*, and would
strongly discourage** US citizens providing technology and support for
the design of defense articles that may be exported improperly.

Other countries probably have similar views.

If you're going to go out in public and offer money for the design of a
defense article, you should expect to be grilled.

* That's an export control law euphemism for "weapon", by the way.

** Think iron bars and concrete walls, and really really surly room service.
--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Adam Freeman
2010-04-14 18:23:46 UTC
Post by Tim Wescott
Post by Adam Freeman
Post by o***@uakron.edu
Um, Somebody is gonna want to "know a bit about you for their
files."
None of their business. I have broken no law in the jurisdiction I am
in.
Anyone in the US, on the other hand, would find that the State
Department probably views an EMP bomb as a defense article*, and would
strongly discourage** US citizens providing technology and support for
the design of defense articles that may be exported improperly.
Other countries probably have similar views.
Cite?
Post by Tim Wescott
If you're going to go out in public and offer money for the design of a
defense article, you should expect to be grilled.
So you're saying I wouldn't have been grilled if I asked the same
question without offering to pay? How bent out of shape is *that*?

At the very least a token gesture of appeciation is good. If the
helper doesn't want to receive payment because they want to stay
anonymous then they can ask that the payment be redirected to a
charity of their choice, and I will produce receipts for them.
Tim Wescott
2010-04-14 19:01:18 UTC
Post by Adam Freeman
Post by Tim Wescott
Post by Tim Wescott
If you're going to go out in public and offer money for the design of a
defense article, you should expect to be grilled.
So you're saying I wouldn't have been grilled if I asked the same
question without offering to pay? How bent out of shape is *that*?
No. Jeered at and/or ignored, but not grilled.
--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
John Fields
2010-04-14 21:35:15 UTC
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 04:40:04 -0700 (PDT), Adam Freeman
Post by Adam Freeman
Basically a circuit consisting of an amalgamation of a Marx circuit to
generate the high seed current and an inductor wrapped around an
explosively driven armature.
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/3043/empbombj.pdf
1) How do I find out the precise time the current through the inductor
coil will be maximum, given real conditions (e.g. finite resistances,
inductance of the Marx circuit itself, eddy currents in armature...)?
---
Somebody got into this a few years ago...

http://www.freeratio.org/thearchives/showthread.php?t=67081

So, since it's old news:

Since you'll be dumping a charged cap into an inductance, unless it's
critically damped it'll ring at:

1
f = -------------- Hz
2pi sqrt(LC)

which is a period of:

t = 2pi sqrt(LC) seconds.

the maximum current in the circuit will occur 90° after the switch
connecting the cap to the inductor is made, which will be at:

2pi sqrt(LC)
t = ------------- seconds.
4

If you don't already have it, download a copy of LTspice from:

http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/

and run this:

Version 4
SHEET 1 880 680
WIRE -112 0 -272 0
WIRE 0 0 -32 0
WIRE 192 0 0 0
WIRE 192 64 192 0
WIRE 144 80 80 80
WIRE 0 176 0 0
WIRE 192 176 192 144
WIRE -272 288 -272 0
WIRE -96 288 -96 48
WIRE 80 288 80 80
WIRE 192 288 192 256
WIRE -272 448 -272 368
WIRE -96 448 -96 368
WIRE -96 448 -272 448
WIRE -48 448 -48 48
WIRE -48 448 -96 448
WIRE 0 448 0 240
WIRE 0 448 -48 448
WIRE 80 448 80 368
WIRE 80 448 0 448
WIRE 144 448 144 128
WIRE 144 448 80 448
WIRE 192 448 192 368
WIRE 192 448 144 448
WIRE -272 544 -272 448
FLAG -272 544 0
SYMBOL ind 176 160 R0
SYMATTR InstName L1
SYMATTR Value 1e-3
SYMBOL cap -16 176 R0
SYMATTR InstName C1
SYMATTR Value 1e-3
SYMBOL sw 192 160 M180
WINDOW 0 32 15 Left 0
WINDOW 3 32 44 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName S1
SYMBOL sw -16 0 M270
WINDOW 0 32 15 Left 0
WINDOW 3 32 44 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName S2
SYMBOL voltage -272 272 R0
WINDOW 0 -42 -1 Left 0
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName V1
SYMATTR Value 10000
SYMBOL voltage -96 272 R0
WINDOW 0 -55 8 Left 0
WINDOW 3 24 104 Invisible 0
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName V3
SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 1 0 1e-6 1e-6 10)
SYMBOL voltage 80 272 R0
WINDOW 0 -55 8 Left 0
WINDOW 3 24 104 Invisible 0
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName V2
SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 1 11 1e-6 1e-6 10)
SYMBOL res 176 272 R0
SYMATTR InstName R1
SYMATTR Value 1
TEXT -256 480 Left 0 !.model SW SW(Ron=1e-6 Roff=1e7 Vt=0.5Vh=0)
TEXT -248 512 Left 0 !.tran 0 20 0

Adjust the strays as required, and you'll probably get a pretty good
idea of what you can expect in terms of maximum current.
---
Post by Adam Freeman
Is this something best found out by experiment and a digital
oscilloscope?
---
Since you'll eventually have to go real-world in order to get real data,
the answer is: "yes".
---
Post by Adam Freeman
2) Presumably, the optimal time for the armature to short out the
inductor coils is when the current within it is at a maximum.
Considering that explosives have a finite run up to detonation, how do
I calculate the best time to initiate the explosives?
---
Since you now already know how long it's going to take for the the
current in the coil to build up to a maximum, all that's left to do is
to determine when to initiate the explosive so that as the armature
expands it starts shorting out the solenoid's turns when the current is
at its peak.
---
Post by Adam Freeman
3) The explosives used will probably be a cylindrical charge of TNT
with a length of ~10cm and a radius of ~2cm. Will there be any
problems initiating such a small explosive?
---
As long as the armature isn't affected by the initiator, I don't think
so.
---
Post by Adam Freeman
I am willing to provide funds for quality advice if you can provide
evidence of your expertise.
---
Email me if you like, with particulars, but be aware that I'm a
registered USDoD contractor and I don't do any rogue foolishness.

JF
Richard
2010-04-15 00:31:34 UTC
Post by Adam Freeman
I am willing to provide funds for quality advice if you can provide
evidence of your expertise.
---
Email me if you like, with particulars, but be aware that I'm a
registered USDoD contractor and I don't do any rogue foolishness.
JF
Can we make something that is rechargeable, concealable and capable of
killing a disco thumping SUV in traffic?
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
2010-04-15 02:11:06 UTC
Post by Adam Freeman
I am willing to provide funds for quality advice if you can provide
evidence of your expertise.
---
Email me if you like, with particulars, but be aware that I'm a
registered USDoD contractor and I don't do any rogue foolishness.
JF
Can we make something that is rechargeable, concealable and capable of
killing a disco thumping SUV in traffic?
A Vircator
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vircator

Will also likely work on PCs in Wall St skyscrapers.
--
Dirk

Michael A. Terrell
2010-04-15 02:44:44 UTC
Post by Adam Freeman
I am willing to provide funds for quality advice if you can provide
evidence of your expertise.
---
Email me if you like, with particulars, but be aware that I'm a
registered USDoD contractor and I don't do any rogue foolishness.
JF
Can we make something that is rechargeable, concealable and capable of
killing a disco thumping SUV in traffic?
No need. We already have the M-72.
Robert Baer
Now THAT i will vote for!
Bitrex
2010-04-15 10:26:52 UTC
Post by John Fields
Post by Adam Freeman
5) Can you suggest any other design optimisations?
---
Maybe.
---
I'd offer the suggestion that using a Marx generator is dickheaded; I
doubt a Marx generator of any reasonable size would be able to provide
the kinds of current required. Maybe try using a high power boost
converter and some of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Huge-K75-17-PIO-TUB-capacitor-50uF-1000V-10-4pcs_W0QQitemZ250585909553QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a58158931

instead?
Robert Baer
2010-04-15 05:10:48 UTC
Post by Adam Freeman
[...]
Well..there may be a slight problem with timescales: Mark generators
seem to run in the sub-nanosecond to nanosecond region, and explosives
seem to run in the millisecondS region.
Bitrex
2010-04-15 11:01:07 UTC
Post by Robert Baer
Post by Adam Freeman
[...]
I was thinking along the same lines, I don't think a Marx generator of a
reasonable size could provide the required power. The stuff that I've
read says the power supplies involved are supplying mega amperes for at
least several milliseconds.
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
2010-04-15 14:01:55 UTC
Post by Robert Baer
Post by Adam Freeman
[...]
Compression of a 10cm dia cylinder in around 10uS-20uS
--
Dirk

Peter Webb
2010-04-15 14:34:27 UTC
Post by Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
Post by Robert Baer
Post by Adam Freeman
[...]
I assume that you are talking about the electric pulse.

A good explosive should achieve 3,000 m/s, assuming 10 cms diameter we have
30 microseconds, about the same as yours.

I don't actually know the principle behind the device, but I assume the
explosive produced a plasma and that allows kinetic energy to be turned into
EM as it move through the magnetic field.

If so, I would be tempted to detonate the explosives by using them as the
spark for the induction coil, and the explosive debris should be highly
conductive.
e***@gmail.com
2015-03-01 20:48:26 UTC
Post by Peter Webb
I don't actually know the principle behind the device, but I assume the
explosive produced a plasma and that allows kinetic energy to be turned into
EM as it move through the magnetic field.
Apologies to all for digging up an old thread (especially this thread). However I cannot find anything to back up this statement on Google.

How can kinetic energy be converted "into EM as it moves through the magnetic field"?
nuny@bid.nes
2010-04-15 12:25:22 UTC
Post by Adam Freeman
Basically a circuit consisting of an amalgamation of a Marx circuit to
generate the high seed current and an inductor wrapped around an
explosively driven armature.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux_compression_generator

Some of the fiddly bits are rather sketchy, but that's OK.

Mark L. Fergerson
Autymn D. C.
2010-04-17 12:43:25 UTC
Post by Adam Freeman
4) Do you have any suggestions on how the electromagnetic pulse can be
maximised, with a goal of destroying nearby unshielded electronics?
FYI, pulse in English is clap.
Post by Adam Freeman
5) Can you suggest any other design optimisations?
I am willing to provide funds for quality advice if you can provide
evidence of your expertise.
You could wing it after brukan the time constand formula--hook up a
power LC (or R/C) tank to a quarter shrinker.
Autymn D. C.
2010-04-17 12:53:05 UTC
(or RC)
John Fields
2010-04-17 14:15:48 UTC
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 05:43:25 -0700 (PDT), "Autymn D. C."
Post by Autymn D. C.
Post by Adam Freeman
4) Do you have any suggestions on how the electromagnetic pulse can be
maximised, with a goal of destroying nearby unshielded electronics?
FYI, pulse in English is clap.
---
Like in 'gonorrhea'? I never heard it referred to like that...
---
Post by Autymn D. C.
Post by Adam Freeman
5) Can you suggest any other design optimisations?
I am willing to provide funds for quality advice if you can provide
evidence of your expertise.
You could wing it after brukan the time constand formula--hook up a
power LC (or R/C) tank to a quarter shrinker.
---
How about rewriting that in English?

JF
nuny@bid.nes
2010-04-17 19:21:47 UTC
Post by Autymn D. C.
Post by Adam Freeman
5) Can you suggest any other design optimisations?
I am willing to provide funds for quality advice if you can provide
evidence of your expertise.
You could wing it after brukan the time constand formula--hook up a
power LC (or R/C) tank to a quarter shrinker.
---
How about rewriting that in English?
Evidently Autymn is posting from an alternate universe where English
evolved differently from the way it did here.

Mark L. Fergerson
a***@slingshot.co.nz
2015-08-12 06:16:06 UTC
Post by Adam Freeman
[...]
ok first question...the so called optimum time for detonation of the explosive: First things first-your seed source makes it very difficult to calculate the timing-solution-scrap the seed source and opt for a capacitor bank-.the waveform of a discharging capacitor bank is wider and thus easier to synchronise.All things being equal, in terms of both electrical currents travelling at the same speed,ie one to the coil and one to the detonator, the only source of delay (if both are switched simultaneously)is the few microseconds it takes for the current to detonate the primary and/or the main charge-either way this delay in itself is on the order 100's of microseconds and will do just fine-all you need to know is the propagation velocity of the charge and the shape of the capacitor discharge curve (into a known load of "x" ohms (which you want to be as low as possible) I can give heaps more info if you want it....