Sodium Chlorate / Vaseline vs. ANFO
m***@googlemail.com
2016-02-01 08:12:48 UTC
I have been recently rediscovering my interest in Chemistry. Especially with regard to energetic compounds. Where I live, experimentation gets you locked up and deported. I guess with good reason. As I have been researching the net, I think I am starting to see why. Some people should need a supervising adult to pour a glass of water.
To the point though, I have been reading this thread and wondering. Sodium Chlorate and Potassium Chlorate are apparently notoriously dangerous in comparison to the corresponding perchlorates. At least that is what I have read a lot of lately. I never had a problem with chlorate based flash powder in my younger years. I never had a spontaneous or unwanted detonation or deflagration. I preferred sodium chlorate to potassium chlorate personally due to it being (in my perception at least) a little bit quicker to react. The problem was how it sucks up water like a dehydrated camel. I never did too much with perchlorates outside of the school lab. That was no fun either because my Chem teacher was former EOD in the Army and had eyes like a hawk.
My long winded question is assuming a 5% content of vaseline, 5% content of paraffin (liquid) 85% NaClO3 I would try adding a 3-5% of some kind of aromatic to facilitate initiation. TNT/ DMT are often quoted. I know that with chlorates, any kind of sulphur or acid, means learning to wipe with the other hand. But what about an exotic aromatic, such as Ethelene Glycol?
F Murtz
2016-02-21 07:48:27 UTC
Post by m***@googlemail.com
[...]
Do you really think anyone is going to answer,this is a dead group
everyone is too frighted to talk on a perfectly legitimate subject
Bill
2016-02-21 15:22:40 UTC
Post by F Murtz
Post by m***@googlemail.com
[...]
If anyone did answer I would be very suspect of their motives. Long
gone are the days when you could have a sensible, scientific, practical,
discussion on this sort of subject.

Best left well alone.
--
Bill