Spherical implosion from one detonator possible?
November 5
2009-08-05 08:59:47 UTC
Is it possible by clever design of the explosive lenses and the use of
different energetic/inert materials, to get a detonation wave that
implodes upon a centre as a uniform sphere?
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
2009-08-05 11:41:53 UTC
Post by November 5
Is it possible by clever design of the explosive lenses and the use of
different energetic/inert materials, to get a detonation wave that
implodes upon a centre as a uniform sphere?
Were it so, various governments wouldn't spend so much money solving
that problem with multiple initiators and precision-delay devices.

Please build your nuclear weapon elsewhere than in a fireworks group;
rec.pyrotechnics is about fireworks. I'm sure the alt.engr.explosives
guys will have some comments for your review.

LLoyd
Peter Fairbrother
2009-08-05 22:28:07 UTC
Post by November 5
different energetic/inert materials, to get a detonation wave that
implodes upon a centre as a uniform sphere?
Were it so, various governments wouldn't spend so much money solving
that problem with multiple initiators and precision-delay devices.
Please build your nuclear weapon elsewhere than in a fireworks group;
rec.pyrotechnics is about fireworks. I'm sure the alt.engr.explosives
guys will have some comments for your review.
While I agree that it's a bit OT for rec.pyrotechnics, and probably for
alt.engr.explosives too, just thought I'd mention that the actual answer
is yes, it is possible:

Section 4.1.6.2.2.3 Advanced Wave Shaping Techniques,
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Nwfaq/Nfaq4.html

If you want to discuss the design of nuclear weapons, try
alt.war.nuclear. The technique isn't actually used in nuclear weapons
however.

-- Peter Fairbrother
November 5
2009-08-06 14:26:51 UTC
Post by Peter Fairbrother
Post by November 5
[...]
Thanks; a feast for the inquisitive mind.

N5
hhc314
2009-08-09 20:57:02 UTC
Post by Peter Fairbrother
Post by November 5
different energetic/inert materials, to get a detonation wave that
implodes upon a centre as a uniform sphere?
Were it so, various governments wouldn't spend so much money solving
that problem with multiple initiators and precision-delay devices.
Please build your nuclear weapon elsewhere than in a fireworks group;
rec.pyrotechnics is about fireworks.  I'm sure the alt.engr.explosives
guys will have some comments for your review.
While I agree that it's a bit OT for rec.pyrotechnics, and probably for
alt.engr.explosives too, just thought I'd mention that the actual answer
Section 4.1.6.2.2.3 Advanced Wave Shaping Techniques,http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Nwfaq/Nfaq4.html
If you want to discuss the design of nuclear weapons, try
alt.war.nuclear. The technique isn't actually used in nuclear weapons
however.
-- Peter Fairbrother- Hide quoted text -
Peter, the general answer is no, and while it is remotely possible,
the answer is it isn't very likely and never employed.

Finally, hree suggestions:

Don't ever look to any alt. newsgroup for credible information on
anything.

Find out what a company named EG&G produces, and why strobe bulbs are
used to trigger the multiple detonators.

Finally, since this topic is totally off-topic in rec.pyrotechnics,
I'd suggest that you locate a sci. or engineering newsgroup where it
is remotely on-topic. Were it me, sci.physics might be a good
beginning. Also, Google is your friend!

Harry C. (resident curmudgeon and actually a physicist)
boom.armstrong
2009-08-09 22:09:26 UTC
Good to see a post from you again Harry. It has been a while.
Me
2009-08-05 20:29:00 UTC
In article
Post by November 5
Is it possible by clever design of the explosive lenses and the use of
different energetic/inert materials, to get a detonation wave that
implodes upon a centre as a uniform sphere?
Anything "May" be possible, but if the Los AlAmos Guys can't figure out
how to do it, and haven't by now, with simulation software running on
the Cray Supercomputers at Livermore Labs, it isn't really a likely way
to go.....

Me Just an Old Time Powderman.......
Richard Casady
2009-08-07 14:16:22 UTC
On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 01:59:47 -0700 (PDT), November 5
Post by November 5
Is it possible by clever design of the explosive lenses and the use of
different energetic/inert materials, to get a detonation wave that
implodes upon a centre as a uniform sphere?
No. You can come close, close enough to fission all, or nearly all.
of the Pu.

Casady
michael michalchik
2009-08-11 01:19:39 UTC
Post by November 5
Is it possible by clever design of the explosive lenses and the use of
different energetic/inert materials, to get a detonation wave that
implodes upon a centre as a uniform sphere?
I suspect that it would be possible if you could mix different
velocity materials continuously in three dimensions. You would want to
conduct a very fast initiation wave around the whole outside. Then you
would need materials distributed radially so that their rate of
detonation compensated for the delay in initiation. The slower
detonating material would also have to be more energetic to compensate
for the energy bleeding away during the slower burn. I doubt we either
have the materials or the processes to create such a distribution in
reality.
Jim Hawkins
2011-10-08 20:18:38 UTC
Post by November 5
Is it possible by clever design of the explosive lenses and the use of
different energetic/inert materials, to get a detonation wave that
implodes upon a centre as a uniform sphere?
Depends how smooth and accurately spherical a wavefront you want. If not
very, then a bunch of equal lengths of detonating cord each with one end on
a booster surrounding the detonator and with the other ends suitably
equi-spaced round the sphere and terminated normal to its surface in small
boosters might be good enough.
But I've never seen it done or tried it myself.

Jim Hawkins
Snag
2011-10-09 04:16:28 UTC
Post by Jim Hawkins
Post by November 5
Is it possible by clever design of the explosive lenses and the use
of different energetic/inert materials, to get a detonation wave that
implodes upon a centre as a uniform sphere?
Depends how smooth and accurately spherical a wavefront you want. If
not very, then a bunch of equal lengths of detonating cord each with
one end on a booster surrounding the detonator and with the other
ends suitably equi-spaced round the sphere and terminated normal to
its surface in small boosters might be good enough.
But I've never seen it done or tried it myself.
Jim Hawkins
Flat wave generator . Simple in theory , hard to describe . Think of it as a
series of Y's , each pair of arms initiates the stems of another pair of Y's
. Six deep will give 64 ignition points for the det cord .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !
Darel Finley
2022-06-11 13:09:18 UTC
Too late to comment on this old thread? I tried a logarithmic spiral, and it looks like it might work, but I'm no expert. Here's my drawing: Loading Image...
Darel Finley
2022-06-12 20:17:31 UTC
Post by Darel Finley
Post by November 5
Is it possible by clever design of the explosive lenses and the use of
different energetic/inert materials, to get a detonation wave that
implodes upon a centre as a uniform sphere?
Too late to comment on this old thread? I tried a logarithmic spiral, and it looks like it might work, but I'm no expert. Here's my drawing: http://alienryderflex.com/one_point_implosion.png
Drat, someone already thought of it. Up in the thread, in the link to "paragraph 4.1.6.2.2.3": Loading Image... My diagram is clearer, but it's exactly the same thing. :|