Nitroglycerin
Gunny_2009
2011-04-26 05:29:51 UTC
As a recent carrier of nitroglycerin for cardiac reasons I am interested in
how this is different from the explosive form. Are the little white pills
sensitive in any way to being crushed or impacted? If they get exposed to
certain liquids would they become explosively unstable again? The doctor
didn't know squat about this. I didn't plan to put one on my anvil and
whack it, but what if I did? Any of you explosives engineers want to
chime in on the sensitivity or risk of these little white nitro pills?
Thanks.
Me
2011-04-26 17:22:02 UTC
Post by Gunny_2009
As a recent carrier of nitroglycerin for cardiac reasons I am interested in
how this is different from the explosive form. Are the little white pills
sensitive in any way to being crushed or impacted? If they get exposed to
certain liquids would they become explosively unstable again? The doctor
didn't know squat about this. I didn't plan to put one on my anvil and
whack it, but what if I did? Any of you explosives engineers want to
chime in on the sensitivity or risk of these little white nitro pills?
Thanks.
Gunny, same stuff, only the pills only have Milligrams of the active
ingredient, in them. So, you would have to have thousands of them to get
even a small pop. This is exactly why when a REAL Powderman uses Nitro
based Energetics, they ALWAYS use Gloves and Respirators, to keep the
Blood Pressure effects, and Headaches, to a minimum. Back in the day,
when I was using RedCross40, as a Ditching Powder, the Nitro Headache
was a constant reminder, of the seriousness of the operation, involved.

Me a semi-reTIRED Powderman, from the Old School....
Gunny_2009
2011-04-27 03:36:17 UTC
Post by Me
Post by Gunny_2009
[...]
I have heard of the NG headache. In fact, I read the Alfred Nobel suffered
from severe headaches for many years without knowing why. Obviously, it was
because he was handling NG on a daily basis and probably did not wear
gloves.
Me
2011-04-27 17:50:36 UTC
Post by Gunny_2009
Post by Me
Post by Gunny_2009
[...]
a very common Occupational Malady for Old School Powdermen, who still
use Nitro based Energetics. These compounds can be absorbed thru the
skin, readily....

Me one who has practical experience in this area.....